Today was mainly a family day with no gardening or painting done. However I did manage to write from mid afternoon onwards – although what I have written will need an awful lot of editing.
I spent this Bank Holiday Monday in the garden: not potting this time but other essential tasks such as mowing the lawn and tidying up the mess I had made during the week. Nothing too creative was done, although I finished off my writing from late afternoon onwards.
Back to something approaching normality (remembering that my normal isn’t really that normal!) and I worked in my studio on the SELF PORTRAIT IN A PINK DRESS variations. I added word sequences to the strands of the first variation and then added some extra detailing, finishing the work. The text came from quick writings on my smartphone: rough jottings really. By and large I added them without much, if any, editing.
I finished another SELF PORTRAIT IN A PINK DRESS variation by adding more text. The wording isn’t really too bad but I am not happy how I actually did the lettering: which looks hurried and probably rather amateurish. For the other two versions I will put in larger words which touch the top and bottom lines which hopefully will give a neater finish.
After finishing the above work I started to add words on the third.
I was out a good part of today but on my return finished adding the words to the third SELF PORTRAIT IN A PINK DRESS variation. I used odds and ends of text on this work, drawing the word sequences from various notes and spontaneously editing some of the text too – possibly not a good idea (especially as I was listening to the radio as I did so!).
I also amended very slightly the work I finished yesterday – I am not sure I like the changes I made so may make further amendments!
I added word sequences to the fourth SELF PORTRAIT IN A PINK DRESS variation (all that remains to be done is to add words to the shapes on the right hand side – I was originally going to add symbols but have now changed my mind).
After this I suddenly decided, probably rightly, that I didn’t like some of the text on the third variation. I had altered it as I painted in the words and now think that some of the sentences looks clumsy; after mulling over the various options open to me I decided to put a layer of white over the words on two sets of strips. One of these strips will be left alone with the original wording faintly showing through and the other will have new word sequences added on top.
My wife had to work this weekend so after a quick trip to town I spent much of the remainder of the day in my study writing and, to be honest, probably wasting time looking up inane things on the computer.
Before I had gone out I had reworked another part of the recalcitrant SELF PORTRAIT IN A PINK DRESS variation – adding more white and putting another coat on part of what I had done yesterday.